We’re on the lookout for a friendly and dedicated Company Stage Manager to join the good ship ROUNDABOUT and team PP this year. Could it be you? Details below:
COMPANY STAGE MANAGER on the book
To apply please email a CV and brief cover letter to
Application deadline: Friday 29 April, 10am
Roundabout is our beautiful pop-up in-the-round theatre. It offers a unique 360 degree theatre experience with 168-seats wrapped around the stage, state-of-the-art LED lighting and surround sound. Roundabout flat packs into a lorry and pops-up across the UK bringing the nation’s best playwrights and a thrilling atmosphere to audiences everywhere.
This year Roundabout will host three brand new plays, directed by our joint Artistic Director George Perrin and performed by a rep of three actors. The plays are:
A Paines Plough production
GROWTH by Luke Norris
A Paines Plough, Clwyd Theatr Cymru and Sherman Cymru production
LOVE LIES AND TAXIDERMY by Alan Harris
A Paines Plough and Half Moon production
I GOT SUPERPOWERS FOR MY BIRTHDAY by Katie Douglas
London, Rehearsals: w/c 16 May
London, Tech and previews in Roundabout: w/c 11 and 18 July
Edinburgh Tech and rehearsals in Roundabout: w/c 25 July
Performances Edinburgh Festival: 4 – 29 August
UK Tour: 5 September – 19 November
To support the Director and manage the Roundabout company during rehearsals and on tour ensuring the efficient running of the rehearsal room and productions in tech and performance and the well-being of the company. To operate all Paines Plough shows and with the Technical Stage Managers providing a safe, tidy and welcoming environment within the Roundabout auditorium for all audiences.
Key Responsibilities (including but not limited to):
• To source and buy any props and costume for the productions as requested by the Director and Designer, within the budgets and parameters agreed with the Producer
• To manage the petty cash budget within the parameters set by the Producer
• To take joint responsibility with the Technical Stage Managers on all aspects of the Roundabout Auditorium whilst on the road
• To strictly monitor and adhere to the weekly schedules as provided by the Producer.
• To be jointly responsible with the TSM’s for the daily power-up and power-down of the Roundabout.
• To ensure that all set, costume and props are kept in a tidy, clean and orderly manner and to replace any consumable items within the budgets and parameters agreed with the Producer.
• In conjunction with the TSM’s to ensure that all working and public areas are kept tidy and clear of waste material and that equipment is maintained to a safe and proper standard.
• In conjunction and liaison with the Technical Stage Managers, to complete any day to day maintenance that may be required of the set, props, furniture and dressing for the production according to the Director’s and Designer’s requirements and within budgets and parameters agreed with Producer.
• In conjunction and liaison with the Technical Stage Managers, to ensure that all work undertaken on the set, props and furniture etc. is completed to the high standards agreed with the Producer.
• In conjunction with the Technical Stage Managers to liaise with the FOH at each tour venue to ensure the smooth running of the shows and Roundabout auditorium.
• Cover the running and/or operating of all 3 Paines Plough productions within the Roundabout as per weekly touring schedule drawn up by the Production Manager & Producer and as mutually agreed.
• To liaise and co-operate with all other departments and individuals within Paines Plough.
• To act as a credible ambassador for the company at all times.
• To adhere to the Health and Safety Policy of the company, undertaking such duties as are required, and ensuring that reasonable care is taken to ensure a healthy and safe working environment.
• To undertake any other appropriate duties which may be allocated by the Producer.
• Be in attendance at post-show discussions, press/photo calls and interviews for the Insights programme as notified
• To deliver rehearsal and show reports for all Roundabout productions to Paines Plough staff and the creative team.
• To support and manage the Roundabout company during rehearsals, production, in Edinburgh and on tour
• Previous experience of the role, preferably within a similar-sized venue or production company
• Demonstrable ability to perform the duties listed above
• An organised yet flexible approach and calm under pressure
• Dedicated and committed with excellent focus and organisational skills
• Ability to be creative and resourceful in problem solving
• Proven ability to work within allocated budgets
• A working knowledge of the ITC/Equity Subsidised Repertory Agreements
• Awareness and experience of health and safety legislation and practice
• Experience of and ability to operate QLab
• Good team player
• First Aid trained
Fee: £447.50 p/w for rehearsals and w/c 31 Oct, 7 Nov, 14 Nov and £550 p/w for Edinburgh and the tour.
To apply please email a CV and brief cover letter to email@example.com with the subject heading: ROUNDABOUT CSM APPLICATION
Application deadline: Friday 29 April, 10am
Interview dates: Tuesday 3 May and Wednesday 4 May.
Please note you must be available on one of the interview dates.
You can download the full job description here.